Tetlow King Planning have finalised the affordable housing strategy for Lyme Regis in West Dorset District on behalf of Lyme Forward. This followed an earlier Consultation day which was attended by over 100 people/organisations and obtained considerable local press coverage.
The strategy seeks to implement one of the key objectives of the Lyme Regis Community Plan on ways to increase the supply of affordable housing in the town.
The report addresses the affordable housing need which exists at a local level and explores the local constraints to further development in the town. A detailed summary of the existing planning policy framework is provided. The report recommends a possible portfolio of possible solutions to tackle the lack of affordable housing. Initiatives include:
- Identification of suitable sites and subsequent promotion and release of sites including exceptionally for 100% affordable housing/mixed tenure;
- Maximising the provision of future opportunities using planning policy mechanisms;
- Encouraging the re-use of empty properties/vacant public sector land;
- Exploring the role of a Community Land Trust; and
- The role of other initiatives such as increasing community/stakeholder involvement and increasing resources to tackle the problem.
It is anticipated that progress on the implementation of initiatives will be monitored and reported in the future.