Lyme Regis, West Dorset
Tetlow King Planning finalised the affordable housing strategy for Lyme Regis in West Dorset District on behalf of Lyme Forward. This followed an earlier Consultation day which was attended by over 100 people/organisations and obtained considerable local press coverage.
The strategy sought to implement one of the key objectives of the Lyme Regis Community Plan on ways to increase the supply of affordable housing in the town.
The report addressed the affordable housing need which exists at a local level and explored the local constraints to further development in the town. A detailed summary of the existing planning policy framework was also provided. The report recommended a portfolio of possible solutions to tackle the lack of affordable housing. Initiatives included:
- Identification of suitable sites and subsequent promotion and release of sites including exceptionally for 100% affordable housing/mixed tenure;
- Maximising the provision of future opportunities using planning policy mechanisms;
- Encouraging the re-use of empty properties/vacant public sector land;
- Exploring the role of a Community Land Trust; and
- The role of other initiatives such as increasing community/stakeholder involvement and increasing resources to tackle the problem.