Trumpington Meadows, Cambridgeshire
An exemplar housing scheme of 1,200 homes at Trumpington Meadows to the south of Cambridge in which Tetlow King Planning has been involved has come to fruition after more than five years planning.
Tetlow King Planning were appointed by Trumpington Meadows Land Company Ltd., a joint venture between Grosvenor Properties and the University Superannuation Scheme (USS) Ltd.
Working with others within a comprehensive team of professional consultants, our primary role was to advise on the affordable housing provision, including:
- Making representations to various development plan documents on various aspects of local policy, including the proportion and type of affordable housing and the delivery arrangements;
- Assisting with negotiations on the planning application and the achievement of planning permission;
- Assisting with negotiations on the Heads of Terms of the Section 106 Agreement;
- Participating in the innovative Cambridge Challenge process by which the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), Cambridge City Council, South Cambridgeshire District Council and other key stakeholders selected the affordable housing providers and secured long term arrangements for funding; and
- Assisting with negotiations of a separate agreement with the successful affordable housing provider, Cambridge Partnerships Ltd, fronted by Bedfordshire Pilgrims Housing Association (BPHA).
Eventually £10 million was secured in grant from the HCA via delivery partner BPHA to secure the delivery of 40% affordable housing (480 homes). Through an innovative approach the HCA will release funding at higher levels in earlier phases of the project, easing the finance of the total scheme. Overage arrangements are in place between the HCA and BPHA to ensure that the HCA will have a share of any uplift in value of the shared ownership properties.